I’ve been making a big effort to make more meals at home and order less takeout. Cornflake Chicken in the Air Fryer is one of those easy main dishes that can be done quickly, and you can have the entire dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
In the past when I’ve made cornflake chicken in the oven, it would come out soggy on the bottom. But…that’s the magic of an air fryer. Since it circulates the heat, these cornflake chicken tenders come out perfectly crunchy and crispy.
Can you make Cornflake Chicken without eggs?
Yes! I have a child who is allergic to eggs. She also loves chicken tenders, so I always make them without dipping in egg. This particular method has become my go-to method for making egg-free fried chicken like tenders and breasts.
Instead of using egg and milk, I use olive oil before dipping the chicken in crushed cornflakes. I dip the chicken in the olive oil and then toss it into a ziplock bag of crushed cornflakes.
Another oil that’s really good to use is sesame oil. It has a really delicious savory flavor.
Cornflake Chicken in the Air Fryer is Kid Friendly!
My entire family LOVES them — the little kids, the teens, and most definitely my husband. The last time I made them for dinner, they raved about them and fought over the leftovers the next day.
How many Cornflake Chicken tenders can you make in the Air Fryer?
We have a big family of 6, so I use about 2 dozen tenderloins to make this meal. That’s about 4 tenderloins per person, which is what I guesstimate is what the average person eats.
I have a large 8 qt air fryer, so I can cook about 8-9 chicken tenderloins at a time and cook three batches. If you have a smaller one, you might be only able to fit 6 tenderloins to cook at once, which might be enough for two people, but you’d probably need to cook two batches for a family of four.
I usually get all the side dishes started before I start on the chicken. It cooks pretty quickly.
How do you cook Cornflake Chicken in the Air Fryer?
When you’re ready to start the chicken, preheat the air fryer for a few minutes at 400 F degrees.
Fill a bowl with the olive oil.
Get a gallon size ziplock bag and pour in the cornflakes. Add the salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to the mix. Seal the ziplock bag and then shake it up. Then, roll the ziplock bag with your hands or a rolling pin to crush it coarsely. It doesn’t need to be crushed to dust.
Now take each tenderloin and dip in the olive oil and then toss it in the ziplock bag.
When you’ve added all the chicken to the ziplock bag, seal it up, and shake to coat the chicken.
Remove the chicken with tongs or a fork from the ziplock bag and gently place in the air fryer. Do not overcrowd the chicken. You want plenty of room for the chicken to cook thoroughly.
Cook for 7-9 minutes. I do not flip it over or “shake.”
Check the chicken at the 7 minute mark and test the internal temperature of the thickest tenderloin. If it’s 165 F degrees, it’s done!
Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately with your favorite side dishes!
More Recipes for the Air Fryer
Cornflake Chicken Tenders in the Air Fryer
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the air fryer for a few minutes at 400 F degrees.
- Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil into a bowl.
- Add the cornflakes to a gallon size ziplock bag. Add the salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to the cornflakes. Seal the ziplock bag and shake it up.
- Roll the ziplock bag with your hands or a rolling pin to coarsely crush the cornflakes.
- Now take each tenderloin and dip in the olive oil and then toss it in the ziplock bag.
- When you've added all the chicken to the ziplock bag, seal it up, and shake it up several times to coat the chicken.
- Remove the chicken with tongs or a spoon from the ziplock bag and gently place in the air fryer. Do not overcrowd the chicken. You want plenty of room for the chicken to cook thoroughly.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes. It's not necessary to flip it over or shake it.
- Check the chicken at the 7 minute mark and test the internal temperature of the thickest tenderloin. It needs to be at least 165 F degrees. If not, allow it to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and check again.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 702Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 657mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 58g
Any nutritional information on thetiptoefairy.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Enjoyed this post? Come follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram!